From talk of unity to a demonstration of community


Beloved in Christ in the Rocky Mountain Synod,

Last Sunday I worshipped in Makumi Lutheran Church in central Tanzania as part of my final trip as Area Program Director for West Africa, Tanzania and Madagascar with ELCA Global Mission.  Barbara Robertson, our ELCA mission personnel serving in the Morogoro Diocese, accompanied me and translated the sermon.  

The pastor spoke of unity, a fitting theme for the start of a Jubilee Year in which the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania will celebrate its 50th anniversary as a united church created from seven distinct predecessor bodies. Drawing on an example from the nearby Makumi National Park, the pastor then described the way wild animals work together for the common good when they collaborate with one another to avoid the danger of a prowling lion.  He then pointed to small ants that achieve amazing feats when they act as a team.  He reminded us of Jesus’ prayer “that they might be one” – a prayer offered for the sake of our life together as the people of God living in this world and carrying out Christ’s own mission.  He assured us that a church united in all its expressions is able to participate far more fully in God’s calling than a congregation that seeks to go it alone.

When the service was over, we processed into the courtyard of the church where everyone formed a large circle; two choirs provided music for our journey:

    

When all were gathered, various goods that had been brought by members of the congregation to serve as part of their weekly offering were placed in the center of the circle to be auctioned.  


The items included everything from fresh papaya and vegetable greens to several eggs to a piece of American fabric (donated by Barbara) to some beautifully embroidered chair covers.  I had seen such “offering auctions” before in Madagascar – it was a way that people with little cash income could express their thanks to God and provide for the support of their church. What was different in this setting is that the items being sold could either be kept by the buyer or could be designated for someone else around the circle. It was because of the generosity of those gathered that I became the proud owner of some luscious greens as well as those wonderful embroidered chair covers! 

From talk of unity to a demonstration of community … what a powerful witness of what it means to be the church, the Body of Christ in the world.

As I move more fully in the next few weeks from my work in Global Mission to my new call as Bishop of the RMS, I find myself eager to discover the many and various ways in which the congregations of the Rocky Mountain Synod provide the same powerful witness as our African brothers and sisters.  It may not look identical in our contexts – yet since it is the same Spirit that binds us together and equips us for mission, you can be sure that our calling to celebrate our unity in Christ and demonstrate the gift of community is no different than it is anywhere else in this world. 

So how is the unity of the church affirmed in the place where you worship?  How is community lived out in your daily context?  What would a visitor to your congregation say about their experience upon their return home?  I hope to learn about this and much more as I begin to travel around the synod. I will begin with a few initial tournĂ©es (tours) in August and early September starting with the Border Conference. After my installation on September 23 I will continue reacquainting myself with the diverse landscapes of our synod through the upcoming Missional Gatherings and other visits throughout the synod. 

I will miss many things about the life of the church in the parts of Africa in which I’ve been privileged to serve.  I will miss the heartfelt singing, the mix of formality and spontaneity, the colorfully dressed women seated by amazingly attentive children.  One thing I won’t have to worry about missing is the commitment to the unity we share as member of Christ’s body and the community that is ours through the Lord who prays that we, too, might be one for the sake of our witness in the world. 

Yours in Faith,
Jim Gonia, Bishop-Elect

Comments

Nelson said…
Bind us together, Lord, bind us together with cords that cannot be broken...
That brings back lots of memories! I've been in Tanzania three times, in the Iringa Diocese. We saw the same auctions and unity of the Spirit. Thanks!
DoctoraLeslie said…
"The road is your footsteps --- nothing else."

We look forward to your tournee/visit at the LSS of Utah diverse community preferably on our Thursday Manna Market day 9 am to Noon! as one expression of inter-faith and community-wide outreach in the Rocky Mountain Synod community!
DoctoraLeslie said…
"The road is your footsteps --- nothing else."

We look forward to your tournee/visit at the LSS of Utah diverse community preferably on our Thursday Manna Market day 9 am to Noon! as one expression of inter-faith and community-wide outreach in the Rocky Mountain Synod community!

Popular posts from this blog

Personal reflections on racism and becoming

Companions in exploring matters of the Spirit

It is time for the church to be the church